World Oceans Day Competitions
Please check back for a list of school, youth group and other competitions and prizes.
ELEMENTARY STUDENTS in Newfoundland
Art and Essay Contest http://www.fishaq.gov.nl.ca/education/index.html
- 1.World Oceans Day Art Contest for Grades K-6
- Date: April 30, 2018
- Location: Newfoundland and Labrador - Province wide
- This is a joint effort of the Newfoundland and Labrador World Oceans Day Planning Committee (Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Parks Canada Agency, Fisheries Land and Resources, Canadians Parks and Wilderness Society, World Wildlife Fund Canada and the Marine Institute). One winner per grade level and classes that participate will be entered to win a class prize. Submissions will be displayed at the World Oceans Day Event held in St. John’s on June 3rd.
- 2.World Oceans Day Photo/Essay Contest for Grades 7-12
- Date: April 30, 2018
- Location: Newfoundland and Labrador - Province Wide
- This is a joint effort of the Newfoundland and Labrador World Oceans Day Planning Committee (Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Parks Canada Agency, Fisheries Land and Resources, Canadians Parks and Wilderness Society, World Wildlife Fund Canada and the Marine Institute). Prizes are awarded in two categories (grades 7-9 and 10-12). Submissions will be a photo-essay or a five minute video that demonstrates how they are an Ocean Hero. Submissions will be displayed at the World Oceans Day Event held in St. John’s on June 3rd.
DIVE PHOTO - PHOTO CONTEST
Dive Photo Guide held its first photo contest. The photos are awesome.
Announcing the Winners of the First World Oceans Day Photo Contest
2nd Annual Contest Rules - deadline May 22, 2015 at 5pm
WWF Photo Contest
Your creativity behind the camera lens could win you bragging rights! Enter the WWF Photo Contest and your photo and name could be featured in next month’s e-newsletter.
The ocean sustains life on Earth. Canada has the world’s longest coastline—bordering the Pacific, Atlantic and Arctic oceans—and one of the largest ocean bodies of any country in the world. World Oceans Day is June 8, so we want to celebrate our oceans all month long! Submit your best ocean photographs now and tell us what you love about our oceans.
UNITED NATIONS - PHOTO CONTEST
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has launched a World Oceans Day photo contest. The deadline to submit photos online is May 22, 2015 at 5pm Eastern Standard Time (EST)
Five thematic categories are open for photographic submissions:
- Underwater Seascapes
- Underwater Life
- Above Water Seascapes
- Humans Interaction: Taking Action on Climate Change and Ocean Acidification
- Youth: open category, any image of the ocean – below or above the surface – photographed by a young person under age 16 (as of 1 April 2015)
The entries must portray a positive theme and be submitted electronically through the World Oceans Day Photo Contest portal in accordance with the contest guidelines and subject to the contest rules.
NOAA World Ocean Day Photo Contest 2015
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Share your most spectacular ocean and coastal photos.
In celebration of World Ocean Day on June 8, NOAA's National Ocean Service is hosting a photo contest. From May 8-22, send us your best ocean and coastal images as we look to celebrate the beauty, mystery, and importance of the ocean. Sunsets over the water, colorful and bountiful marine life, ships delivering goods, images of underwater discovery and adventure...we want it all!
Photos will be accepted from May 8-22 in the following categories:
- Coastal and Marine Places. Share your photos of beautiful sunsets or scenic shots of your favorite coastal and marine places.
- Ocean Life. Enter your best amazing marine life photos that showcase fish, birds, marine mammals, and other cool ocean creatures.
- Recreation. From boating, kayaking, and snorkeling, share with us some of your favorite coastal and marine activities.
- Working Ocean. Fishing, operating a dive center, ferrying cargo, dredging: these are just a few examples of the huge variety of activities carried out every day in our ocean and along our coasts. Enter your best photos that tell the story of our "working ocean".
How to Enter
Submit your images (minimum of 1200 pixels wide, no more than 10) to us at email@example.com. All images MUST include the following information: photographer's name, short description of when and where the photo was taken, and what is shown in the photo .
We will highlight the winning photos on the National Ocean Service website and through social media on June 8, in honor of World Ocean Day.
Additional Contest Rules
- Photographers must be at least 13 years of age or older as of May 8, 2015.
- We will assume that, in submitting a photo, you are the owner of the photo and have the right to publish it (including permission/model release for anyone identifiably pictured).
- By submitting a photo, you are giving us permission to use the photo for other purposes, such as on our website and in other NOS publications. We will, of course, provide credit to photographers whenever we use any of the photos.
- Photos that are submitted without information on the photographer and a brief caption will not be considered.
- You are eligible to submit photos if less than 20 percent of your total income is from photography.
- No watermarks on submitted photos.
- Photos should be a minimum of 1200 pixels wide (but the bigger, the better!)
- Please limit the total number of your photo submissions to 10 entries.
- The NOS comment policy applies—so please keep it clean and on topic (the ocean) and know that photos will not be considered that fall outside of our comment policy.